Monday, October 27, 2008

Has it really been a year?

It seems like only yesterday I was in the hospital giving birth to my sweet baby Kayl and now he is one year old.
October 27th last year, Todd and I decided to pull an all nighter. See, we had just gotten the entire collection of Star Trek movies and we wanted to watch as many as we could. At this point I was so over being pregnant with Kayl. I had gone to the doctors four days earlier and he said that I could give birth anytime I wanted to. He also gave me permission to try and get him out, so I took some castor oil. I was really nervous to take the castor oil because my mom had taken it when she was pregnant with my older brother and she told me that it was so gross. I decided to put the oil in some hot chocolate and to my surprise it didn't taste bad at all. Then Todd and I sat down to watch the movies.
We had just finnished the first Star Trek movie and I didn't feel anything so I decided to take another dose of the oil. We then started The Wrath of Khan, about 10 min. into the movie when I decided to take a bath because I didn't feel too good.
I got out of the tub 10 min later and told Todd that it was time to go to the hospital. We ran out of the house and rushed to the hospital.
When we got there they measured me and I was three centimeters dialated. I was having the worst pain ever and they hadn't decided if they wanted to fully admit me yet. I told them to call my doctor and ask him if they could induce my labor. My doctor told them he would be right over.
My pain was getting so much worse and I wanted to get the epidural. My doctor told me that he had to break my water first. Todd was actually not there at the moment because I made him go home for the camera and the movies because he forgot to bring them. The doctor broke my water and I started crying. I had the worst back labor ever. It was exruciating and I wished Todd was there.
When Todd came back the Epidural guy was there and was about to give me the shot. When he got it in and the medicane took effect I felt so much better and was able to take a nap.
By this time it was about 5 am on the 28th. I didn't wake up til about 7:30 when they came to check me. I was still 3 centimeters so they let me rest for awhile more.
9 am came along and they came back in and told me that I was 10 centimeters and ready to push. I started the pushing around 9:30 and I was pushing for 2 and a half hours.
12:01 pm came and Kayl was born. After he was born and down in the nursery with Todd getting his first bath the doctor told me that it was really good that I had him early because if I had gone the last three weeks he would have been 12 pounds. I was just so happy to have him here and now he is a year old. It went by way too fast.


Diana said...

Happy bday Kayl! I remember holding him and being so surprised at how little he was! It made me so excited to have Michael

Nancy Heiss said...

That top picture of Kayl is really cute!